The New York Giants were back on the field for their final practice of mandatory minicamp on Wednesday. They will now head into summer break and are not required to return to East Rutherford until the start of training camp in late July.
The day began with offensive assistants meeting with members of the media before head coach Brian Daboll took the podium for a press conference. Then it was off to practice.
Here is some news, notes, highlights and videos from Day 2 of minicamp:
- Quarterbacks coach Shea Tierney praised Daniel Jones for being consistent and disciplined — shows up early and leaves late every single day.
- Tierney has faith that tight end Darren Waller will win his matchups every time.
- Offensive line coach Bobby Johnson is fine with John Michael Schmitz using the dead ball technique when snapping. Says it’s all about comfort level and otherwise has no impact on the center-quarterback exchange.
- Johnson adds that JMS is a high-IQ player who is developing rapidly.
- Johnson says right tackle Evan Neal “worked his tail off” this offseason.
- Tight ends coach Andy Bischoff says Darren Waller is an example for all other players. Adds that Daniel Bellinger is a sponge and has improved significantly due to Waller’s presence.
- Giants wide receivers coach Mike Groh says Jalin Hyatt has maximized every opportunity to improve.
- Daboll expressed an appreciation for Bill Parcells, who visited with the team and spoke to them on Tuesday.
- Daboll wants all players to return physically and mentally ready to go come training camp.
- The Giants and New York Jets won’t hold joint practices this year but Daboll hopes they will get together for practices next year.
- When individual drills began, wide receiver Sterling Shepard headed inside with the rehab group. However, as you’ll see below, he looks well ahead of schedule.
- Wide receiver Parris Campbell opened individual drills with the team’s running backs.
- Eric Gray and Kalil Pimpleton were among the return men in practice on Wednesday.
- Practice ended early with threatening weather/lightning in the area.
- Eli Manning was in attendance/visited the team on Wednesday.
- Cornerback Adroee’ Jackson rolled his left ankle but the injury appears to be minor.