The younger brother of New York Giants legend Leonard Marshall intends to sue the team for $10 million and a lifetime supply of season tickets.
Marshall calls the potential lawsuit “frivolous” and says he wants no involvement with it.
“It’s a frivolous claim,” Marshall told Darryl Slater of NJ Advance Media. “It’s a meritless lawsuit.”
The 54-year-old Byron Marshall is considering the convoluted lawsuit after Leonard disinvited him from the legend’s Ring of Honor ceremony on September 26, 2022. The notice of claim letter, which was sent to the Giants on December 5, specifically names the team’s director of alumni relations, Joann Lamneck, as a reason for the disinvite.
In the letter, Byron states that Lamneck made a false accusation against him and “confronted” him on the day of the ceremony. She allegedly claimed he had been involved in and arrested for a pre-ceremony bar fight the day prior.
NJ Advance Media found no record of an incident or arrest at that specific bar on the day of the pre-ceremony.
“False allegations caused [Byron] to be humiliated and embarrassed,” the letter read.
Christopher C. Roberts, the East Orange attorney who is representing Byron, claims the Giants requested a meeting with his client to discuss the issue. That meeting isn’t likely to take place until late March.
If the issue isn’t resolved during that meeting, Roberts says Byron’s intent is to formally file the lawsuit and move forward.
In addition to the Giants, Byron is also planning to sue Lamneck and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.
The Giants have not offered a comment on the notice of claim letter or potential lawsuit.